Health Promotion, a discipline of Special Olympics Healthy Athletes, focuses on healthy living, healthy lifestyle choices, and nation-specific health issues. In addition to health education activities, health Promotion offers screenings for bone density, blood pressure, and body mass index (BMI). Its goals include encouraging and enhancing healthy behaviors and improving self-efficacy and self-advocacy.
For more information, contact HealthPromotion@specialolympics.org.
- Fact Sheets (PDF): Global | United States
- How to Volunteer with Healthy Athletes (webpage)
- Clinical Director Role (webpage)
- Volunteer Recruitment Templates (DOCX)
MANUALS AND GUIDES
- Clinical Director Manual (PDF | DOCX)
- Questions to Ask Your Local Special Olympics Program after HP CD Training (PDF)
Athlete Health Report and Screening Guides
- Athlete Health Report (PDF)
- Screener Tool - Athlete Report Card (PDF)
- Blood Pressure Screening Guide (PDF)
- BMI Screening Reference Guide (PDF)
- Bone Density Screening Reference Guide (PDF)
- Health Habits Interview Photo Guide (DOCX | PDF): This template provides visual cues to assist with the Health Habits Interview component of Health Promotion. Photos can be customized to meet local needs.
Screening FAQs and BMI Tools
- Bone Mineral Density FAQ (PDF)
- BMI FAQ (PDF)
- Blood Pressure FAQ (PDF)
- BMI Chart (PDF): Adults | Female Youth | Male Youth
- Measurement Technique Poster (PDF): Height | Weight
EVENT RESOURCES AND EQUIPMENT
Healthy Athlete Software (HAS) and Legal Forms
Equipment and Supply Lists
- Equipment and Supplies (PDF)
- Sample Venue Layout (PDF)
- UV Bracelet Order Form (DOCX)
- Healthy Athlete Master Equipment List (PDF): A list of supplies that can be requested from Special Olympics for your Healthy Athletes event.
Bone Density Machine (BDM) Requests
- Education Station Posters - HORIZONTAL (PDF): Graphic posters to be displayed at each of the HP education stations—seven posters in total. Posters can be printed in any size, but was originally designed to be 28.8 inches tall x 40.7 inches wide. USA (with CDC logo) | Non-USA
- Educational Station Posters - VERTICAL (PDF): Graphic posters to be used at each of the HP education stations—seven posters in total. Posters can be printed any size, but was originally designed to be 65 inches tall x 34 inches wide. USA (with CDC logo) | Non-USA
- Brief Educational Postcards for Athlete Engagement (PPTX): A PPTX file that can be used in a number of ways to provide education to athletes, families, and caregivers.
- Tippy Tap Instructions (PDF)
- Posters (PDF): Handwashing | Dehydration | Seafood Nutrition | Bone Health
MARKETING AND COMMUNICATIONS
ADDITIONAL RELATED RESOURCES
Other video resources that you may need for Health Promotion.
- HP Training: Check out this brief video providing key tips on how to engage with athletes during a Healthy Athlete event—a great resource to share with all volunteers.
- Webinar: New Tools & Protocols for HP Events: This recorded webinar (April 2016) highlights the new updates to health promotion protocols, resources, and tools and is targeted at current Clinical Directors and Program staff hosting HP events.
- HP Promotional: Check out this brief video providing an overview of Health Promotion—a great resource to recruit volunteers and sponsors.
- HP Clinical Director Training: Check out this video providing an detailed in formation about each aspect of the Health Promotion Screening and the role of the clinical director.
CHOOSE TO CHANGE CARDS
Download easy-to-print, four-to-a-page Choose to Change Cards with topics including Fruits and Vegetables, Hand Washing, Healthy Blood Pressure, Hydration, Smoking Cessation, Strong Bones, and Sun Safety. Each set of cards is available in Arabic, Chinese, English, French, German, Portuguese, Russian, and Spanish.
See all stories related to this discipline.