The Special Smiles discipline of Healthy Athletes provides comprehensive oral health care information, including offering free dental screenings and instructions on correct brushing and flossing techniques to participating Special Olympics athletes. This resource page is equipped with manuals and forms, event resources and Special Smiles stories and additional information. Special Smiles has demonstrated remarkable success in creating awareness and improving access to dental care for children and adults with intellectual disabilities.
For more information please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Fact Sheets (PDF): Global | United States
- How to Volunteer with Health Athletes (webpage)
- Clinical Director Role (webpage)
- Clinical Director Trainee Questions (DOCX)
- Health Professional Training: Special Olympics has developed training for healthcare providers on working with people with intellectual disabilities. These free e-learning courses are available online. This interactive learning experience arms healthcare providers with the knowledge and understanding of how to be more inclusive as it relates to health programming and services.
MANUALS AND GUIDES
Virtual Special Smiles
- Virtual Presentation for Clinical Directors (pptx)
- Training Guide for Programs and Clinical Directors (pdf)
How To Dental Videos
- Lean about the importance of oral hygiene with Novie Craven and Justin Hunsinger as they ask Dr. Miran Ho and Dr. Isaac Navarro about oral hygiene care. Watch the 6 videos
EVENT RESOURCES AND EQUIPMENT
Healthy Athletes Software (HAS) and Legal Forms
Equipment and Supply Lists
- Supply Request Order Form and Checklist (PDF)
- Healthy Athlete Master Equipment List (PDF): A list of supplies that can be requested from Special Olympics for your Healthy Athletes event.
- Report Card (PDF)
- Oral Health and the Body (PDF)
- Brushing Guide (PDF)
- Caregivers Guide to Good Oral Health for Persons with Special Needs (PDF): English | Spanish
- Practical Oral Care for People with Developmental Disabilities (PDF)
- Introduction to Patients with Special Healthcare Needs
MARKETING AND COMMUNICATIONS
ADDITIONAL RELATED RESOURCES
See all stories related to this discipline.