FUNfitness is the physical therapy discipline of Special Olympics Healthy Athletes ® that addresses the ongoing health needs of Special Olympics (SO) athletes. FUNfitness provides athletes the opportunity to be screened for flexibility of hamstring, calf, shoulder rotator and hip flexor muscles; functional strength of the abdominal and lower extremity muscles; and balance. During these screenings physical therapists, physical therapist assistants, and physical therapist or physical therapist assistant students work with athletes and coaches to improve optimal function in sports training and competition, prevention of or reduced risk for injury and recommending exercises and other helpful strategies.
For more information please contact Gwendolyn Apgar, Manager, FUNfitness.
MANUALS AND GUIDES
EVENT RESOURCES AND EQUIPMENT
Healthy Athletes Software and Legal Forms
- HAS (webpage)
- Insurance and Hold Harmless Agreement (PDF)
- Sign-up Sheet (PDF)
- Event Summary Form (DOCX)
- Media Release Form (PDF)
Equipment and Supplies List
- Standard Event Equipment (DOC)
- Master Equipment List (PDF): A list of supplies that can be requested from Special Olympics for your Healthy Athletes event.
MARKETING AND COMMUNICATIONS
ADDITIONAL RELATED RESOURCES
- Decision Tree for Assessment of O2 Saturation (PDF)
- World Confederation for Physical Therapy Network Page (webpage)
- American Physical Therapy Association (website)
See all stories related to this discipline.