Strong Minds is an interactive learning activity focused on developing adaptive coping skills. Competition provides a natural opportunity to develop active strategies for maintaining emotional wellness under stress, such as: thinking positive thoughts, releasing stress and connecting with others.
For more information please contact at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Fact Sheets (PDF): Global • United States
- How to Volunteer with Health Athletes (webpage)
- Clinical Director Role (webpage)
- Health Professional Training: Special Olympics has developed training for healthcare providers on working with people with intellectual disabilities. These free e-learning courses are available online. This interactive learning experience arms healthcare providers with the knowledge and understanding of how to be more inclusive as it relates to health programming and services.
MANUALS AND GUIDES
- Clinical Director Manual (PDF): A comprehensive guide for clinical directors hosting a Strong Minds event; covers the standardized screening guidelines, planning, and running an event.
- Exercise Handout (PDF): An exercise list for athletes to complete during Strong Stretching.
- Yoga Guide (PDF): A list of yoga poses for athletes to complete during the Strong Stretching station.
- Strategies for Stress (PDF): These strategies can help athletes improve their emotional wellness.
- Volunteer Training (PPTX): A resource for Clinical Directors to use when training volunteers.
- Resources for coaches to utilize the Strong Minds strategies during practice and games. Coach’s Playbook (PDF) • Coach Cards (PDF)
- Strong Minds Family Forum Mental Health and Wellbeing: PowerPoint (PPTX) • Facilitator’s Guide (DOCX)
- Sensory Spaces (PDF): Guidance for creating sensory rooms or low-stimulations environments at Special Olympics events.
Virtual Strong Minds
- Virtual Strong Minds: PowerPoint | Toolkit
EVENT RESOURCES AND EQUIPMENT
Healthy Athletes Software (HAS) and Legal Forms
- Insurance and Hold Harmless Agreement (PDF): This agreement is a risk management method that Special Olympics has put in place to prevent Special Olympics and its Healthy Athletes volunteers from suffering financial damage for an incident that they did not cause.
- Healthy Athlete Software (webpage): The Strong Minds Healthy Athletes Software (HAS) form used to collect and report data at a Strong Minds event.
Equipment and Supply List
- Product Needs Form (PNF) (SmartSheet): Supply order form.
- Supply List (PDF)
- Sample Venue Layouts (PDF)
- Picture Board (PDF): A visual representation of stress management techniques.
- Station Signs (PDF): Printable signs for each station of Strong Minds.
- Hasbro Pledge Cards (PDF): Printable cards for use at Station 5 of Strong Minds.
- Inclusion Revolution Pledge (webpage)
- Strong Minds Activity Guide (PDF): English | Spanish
- Tips for keeping a Strong Mind (JPG)
- Healthy Sleep Tips (JPG)
- Self-Care for Families (PDF)
- Strong Minds Family Tip Sheet and Calendar: This resource provides family members and caregivers ideas about ways to destress, have fun, and integrate healthy living choices into day-to-day lives. Using the Strong Minds stickers and calendar, you can design your healthy living schedule to best meet the personal needs and interests of your family. Calendar • Sticker Sheet
- Strong Minds Mindfulness Recordings: A series of 14, 5 minute Special Olympics Strong Minds meditations. Appreciation • Belonging • Connections • Empowerment • Identity • Leadership • Mindfulness for Families • Post-competition • Pre-competition • Reflections • Spread the Word • Teamwork • Wellness • Young Athletes
Master Equipment List
- Healthy Athlete Master Equipment List (PDF): A list of supplies that can be requested from Special Olympics for your Healthy Athletes event.
MARKETING AND COMMUNICATIONS
See all stories related to this discipline.