The Special Olympics Lions Clubs International Foundation Opening Eyes program is changing lives in communities across the globe by providing comprehensive eye assessments, prescription eyewear, sunglasses and sports goggles to Special Olympics athletes and people with intellectual disabilities in general. After going through 12 testing stations, the exam information is reviewed and a decision is made if the athlete needs a new pair of prescription glasses or sport goggles. Through the generosity of our corporate sponsors Essilor (lenses) and Safilo (frames), athletes choose from a selection of eye wear. Athletes who do not need any corrective lenses receive plano sunglasses also provided by Safilo.
For more information please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Fact Sheets (PDF): Global • United States
- How to Volunteer with Healthy Athletes (webpage)
- Health Professional Training: Special Olympics has developed training for healthcare providers on working with people with intellectual disabilities. These free e-learning courses are available online. This interactive learning experience arms healthcare providers with the knowledge and understanding of how to be more inclusive as it relates to health programming and services.
- Collection of photos from Healthy Athletes events worldwide
- Clinical Director Role (webpage)
- Clinical Director Application Questionnaire (DOCX)
- Opening Eyes Clinical Director overview (video)
- Inclusive Health Opening Eyes (video)
MANUALS AND GUIDES
EVENT RESOURCES AND EQUIPMENT
Healthy Athletes Software (HAS) and Legal Forms
EQUIPMENT AND SUPPLIES
- Equipment List (PDF)
- Product Needs Form (PNF) (SmartSheet)
- T-Shirt for US Events: (AI) • (PDF)
- T-Shirt for Global Events (PDF)
ATHLETE VISION REPORT & SCREENING GUIDES
- Sample Venue Layout (PDF)
- Athlete Vision Report Card Booklet (DOCX)
- Athlete Vision Report Card One Pager (DOCX)
- Congratulations on Your New Glasses (DOCX)
- Printable Glasses Lab Order Form (DOCX)
- Post Event Evaluation Reporting (SmartSheet)
Virtual Opening Eyes – Eye Connect
MARKETING AND COMMUNICATIONS
See all stories related to this discipline.