The Special Olympics Lions Clubs International Opening Eyes program is changing lives in communities across the globe by providing comprehensive eye assessments, prescription eyewear, sunglasses and sports goggles to Special Olympics athletes and people with intellectual disabilities in general. After going through 12 testing stations, the exam information is reviewed and a decision is made if the athlete needs a new pair of prescription glasses or sport goggles. Through the generosity of our corporate sponsors Essilor (lenses) and Safilo (frames), athletes choose from a selection of eye wear. Athletes who do not need any corrective lenses receive plano sunglasses also provided by Safilo.
For more information please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org .
- Fact Sheets (PDF): This fact sheet explains the components of the Opening Eyes discipline and the goals of the program. Global | United States
- Global Fact Sheet Sponsors (PDF): This fact sheet explains the impact of Opening Eyes and its partners.
- Health (website): A collection on Flickr of photos from Healthy Athletes clinics and other health programs worldwide.
- Health Professional Training : Special Olympics has developed training for healthcare providers on working with people with intellectual disabilities. These free e-learning courses are available online . This interactive learning experience arms healthcare providers with the knowledge and understanding of how to be more inclusive as it relates to health programming and services.
Virtual Opening Eyes – Eye Connect
MANUALS AND FORMS
- Healthy Athletes System (webpage): This Healthy Athletes Software (HAS) form should be used for Opening Eyes events during the screening process.
- Insurance and Hold Harmless Agreement (PDF): This agreement is a risk management method that Special Olympics has put in place to prevent Special Olympics and its Healthy Athletes volunteers from suffering financial damage for an incident that they did not cause.
- Clinical Director Manual (PDF): A comprehensive guide for clinical directors hosting an Opening Eyes event; covers background, planning and running an event. 49 pages.
- Clinical Director Role (webpage)
- Guidelines for Standardized Vision Screening (PDF): A comprehensive guideline for standardized vision screenings. 50 pages.
EVENT EQUIPMENT AND SUPPLIES
- Fact Sheets for All Healthy Athletes Disciplines (ZIP): This package of fact sheet templates includes files for all disciplines.
- Athlete Vision Report Card Booklet (DOCX): A one page vision report card for athletes.
- Athlete Vision Report Card One Pager (DOCX): One page vision report card for athlete screenings.
- Congratulations on Your New Glasses (DOCX): A short fact sheet template to give to athletes that received new glasses.
- Healthy Athlete Master Equipment List (PDF): A list of supplies that can be requested from Special Olympics for your Healthy Athletes event.
MARKETING AND COMMUNICATIONS
- Discipline Specific Branding Materials: Provides all the relevant branding and logos for this discipline incl. volunteer attire design.
- Health Branding and Graphics
See all stories related to this discipline.