COACH DEVELOPMENT MODEL BROCHURE
The brochure is an overview of the coach development model and its goals and methods.
List of videos that explain the coaching development model in various languages and tell the stories of participating Special Olympics coaches.
- Sport Teaches Us: Special Olympics is a sports organization, but it's also far more. Through a variety of innovative programs and the involvement of passionate volunteers, Special Olympics transforms lives.
- A Day in the Life of a Unified Sports Football Coach: Award-winning video showing what it's like to be a Unified Sports football coach during a big Special Olympics Games. 10 minutes.
- A Day in the Life of an Alpine Skiing Coach: Join Cristoph Scheurer, Special Olympics Alpine Skiing coach for Team Germany and member of the Alpine Skiing Sport Resource Team, as he takes you through a "day in the life" of an alpine skiing coach at World Winter Games.
- Overview of the Coaching Development model (video):
English | Arabic | Chinese | French | Russian | Spanish
COACH DEVELOPMENT MODEL POSTERS
Items that can be printed out in a large size for display
Special Olympics has several resources to make it easier to find qualified volunteers to serve as coaches.
- Get in Touch with Sport Federations: Several International Sports Federations have signed proclamations with Special Olympics and are a resource for coach recruitment. Use the proclamations to initiate contact with your local National Governing Body to recruit NGB-certified coaches for your local Program.
- Recruit Coaches Among Unified Sports Partners: People who are Unified Sports teammates are good candidates for Special Olympics Program coaching positions.
- Find Coaches in Young Athletes Families: The Young Athletes program family members are a source of future Special Olympics coaches for local programs.
A list of guides, online courses, brochures and mobile apps that can be used to educate people on how to become Special Olympics coaches.
- Athlete-Centered Coaching Guide (PDF): A general introduction in English to coaching adults and children with intellectual disabilities, including a section on behaviors commonly associated with intellectual disabilities and effective strategies to improve athlete learning. English | Chinese | French | Russian | Spanish
- Quick Reference Coaching Guide Brochure (PDF): This four-page brochure provides strategies to improve learning and performance for athletes with intellectual disabilities. It is based on the "Athlete-Centered Coaching Guide" brochure. It is a basic guide to coaching athletes with intellectual disabilities developed by coaches. It focuses on some behaviors often associated with ID. They will help you to improve athlete learning and give them a more enjoyable Special Olympics sport experience. English | Chinese | French | Russian | Spanish
- Coaching Special Olympics Athletes Online Course: This online course offered by Human Kinetics provides an overview of approaches to coaching people with intellectual disabilities.
- Principles of Special Olympics Coaching course: This online course is offered through West Virginia University for all volunteer coaches.
- Sport Science Info Pack (PDF): All Special Olympics sport science information on injury prevention, nutrition and psychology in a single PDF.
- Sport Science Injury Prevention (PDF)
- Sport Science Nutrition (PDF)
- Sport Science Sport Psychology (PDF)
- Amazon Sports Information App (Amazon)
- Android Sports Information App (play.google)
- iTunes Sports Information App (Apple store)