The ADM is based on a progression from sport fundamentals to learning to train to training to compete. The ADM recognizes that not all athletes will move through the stages at the same pace and allows athletes to train at a level that works for them.
ADM OVERVIEW COLLECTION
This a collection of resources that act as an overview to the athlete development model.
- Sports Guides, Rules and Information: For all of our recognized and official sports, find coaching guides, development models, photos and videos and other related materials. You can also find information on “Other Sports” (locally popular sports which are not official Summer or Winter sports) at the end of this page.
- Health: Get all the forms, information, tools, tips and research you need to run, promote and grow one or more Healthy Athletes disciplines and Healthy Communities.
- Development Models for Coaches and Athletes: How Special Olympics guides coaches and athletes to reach their goals.
- Athlete Development Model Grid (PDF): Explains the core components, tools, support and definitions of all of the different stages of the Athlete Development Model.
- Athlete Development Model Brochure (PDF): English • Arabic • Russian • Spanish
- Sports Teaches Us: Special Olympics is a sports organization, but it's also far more. Through a variety of innovative programs and the involvement of passionate volunteers, Special Olympics transforms lives.
- Overview of the Athlete Development Model (video): English • Arabic • Chinese • French • Russian • Spanish
The focus is on the basics of motor development and fundamentals of sports skills, building a foundation of health, fitness and nutrition habits.
- Young Athletes
- Motor Activity Training Program
LEARNING TO TRAIN STAGE
Intent to convert skills learned in the Fundamental stage into sports specific skills, within multiple sport settings, focusing on learning to train.
TRAINING TO COMPETE STAGE
The athlete narrows their training to focus on one or two sports and becomes comfortable with all aspects of competition preparation.
The athlete continues to participate in sports, have fun and maintain a healthy lifestyle.