Special Olympics is activating people to #PlayUnified in order to live unified. Share these resources demonstrating the many impacts of Unified Sports.
Share evidence of Special Olympics’ impact through these summaries of Special Olympics research that include ready-to-share printouts designed for Programs.
Charts and Graphs
Use and customize these charts and graphs to help illustrate some key research findings.
Utilize additional research-related resources that may be helpful for your Program.
Access research articles that go into more detail on some of the findings shared in the overview section.
- Unified Sports in U.S. school settings: Unified Sports is the fastest growing program in the Special Olympics movement, with 704,230 participants world-wide in 2013, and there is a wealth of evidence about its effectiveness but knowledge gaps still exist.
- Unified gives us a chance: An evaluation of Special Olympics youth unified sports programme in Europe/Eurasia: Working in five countries, this evaluation carried out more than 200 qualitative interviews and gathered data on 55 Unified teams that showed a complex and positive relationship that Unified Sports had on participating youth, the organization involved and interaction with the local community.
- National (U.S.) evaluation of the Special Olympics Unified Sports program. A special report.: The purpose of this United States evaluation was to analyze the perceptions of key stakeholders (state directors, athletes, family members, partners, and coaches) regarding their commitment to the concept of Unified Sports, and their overall satisfaction with the Unified Sports Programs.
- Evaluation of the Special Olympics Europe/Eurasia Unified Football Pilot-Project: The findings from this research - consisting of surveys given to athletes, partners, coaches and family members from 65 football teams in five countries (Austria, Poland, Romania, Serbia, and Slovakia) - suggest that Unified Sports provides a successful model for promoting social inclusion and changing attitudes.
- Beyond the Playing Field: Impact of Special Olympics Unified Sports Final Report.: This study looked at school-based Unified Sports programming and found that athletes and partners reported more positive self-concept at the end of their Unified Sports experience, particularly in the area of social acceptance.