Coaching Special Olympics athletes is rewarding and makes use of the experience and knowledge coaches already have. In all sports, there are special rules and adaptions that make participation fairer, safer and more competitive for athletes of all abilities. The quiz below highlights aspects of coaching Special Olympics athletes that coaches and officials should know about. Test your knowledge!
1) What is the advantage to using the demonstration
component of instruction to illustrate a skill?
2) What should a coach do after teaching a new skill to an athlete?
3) What must a coach do to help an athlete achieve a skill?
4) What is the best approach to communicate effectively with athletes?
5) What should a coach consider in making her instructions more meaningful to athletes?
6) What strategy is most likely to facilitate learning for an athlete WHO has difficulty focusing on a task?
7) Why is it important to teach athletes to follow the Governing Body & Special Olympics Rules?