Coaching Special Olympics athletes is rewarding and makes use of the experience and knowledge coaches already have. In all sports, there are special rules and adaptions that make participation fairer, safer and more competitive for athletes of all abilities. The quiz below highlights aspects of Special Olympics Snowshoeing that coaches and officials should know about. Test your knowledge!
1) It is recommended that snowshoers wear clothing that:
2) True or false: It is mandatory that waterproof boots be worn with snowshoes during Special Olympics snowshoe competitions.
3) Special Olympics snowshoeing rules state that snowshoes must be at least ____________________.
4) True or false: Athletes are allowed to use poles during Special Olympics snowshoeing competitions.
5) Snowshoe overlap most frequently occurs ____________________.
6) To help snowshoers avoid overlap, coaches can instruct them to ____________________.
7) Two skills that are very important to teach beginning snowshoers are ____________________.
8) When teaching beginning snowshoers to make sharp turns, coaches should emphasize landing on the ____________________ to prevent loss of balance.
9) When ascending or descending a hill on snowshoes, athletes should be instructed to follow the ____________________.
10) During sprint starts, it is advised that athletes put their ____________________ forward for a strong launch from the starting line.
11) True or false: During Special Olympics snowshoeing competitions, coaches are allowed to enter the course in order to pace or guide their athletes.
12) During Special Olympics snowshoeing competitions, if an athlete leaves the track or has trouble with equipment, he or she has ____________________ minute(s) to reenter the track or correct the equipment problem.
13) During Special Olympics snowshoeing competitions, a competitor has finished the race when his or her ____________________ reaches the vertical plane of the finish line.
14) True or false: During Special Olympics snowshoeing competitions, an athlete may legally pass the finish line without both snowshoes on if they are within 20 meters of the finish line.
15) Special Olympics snowshoeing teams must consist of ____________________ competitors.